Happy 100th Birthday, Lionel Ferbos!

I've been going down to New Orleans for the Satchmo Summerfest every year since 2008. The first time I went down there, I remember being shocked at seeing 97-year-old Lionel Ferbos, alive and still playing. The following year, he was at it again, knocking me out with his version of "You Always Hurt the One You Love." Last year, at 99, Ferbos performed yet again. This time I felt the need to record it for posterity, so I filmed Ferbos playing--and singing--"I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate" at Maison on Frenchman Street:


And today, I'm happy to announce that Mr. Ferbos is 100 years old! And how is he celebrating? By playing, naturally...really, why stop now when you still love what you're doing and you still can deliver the goods to audiences week in and week out? Because of the milestone, Ferbos has been on the receiving end of some beautiful publicity, such as this piece in the USA TODAY. At NOLA.com, you can leave comments wishing him a happy birthday or sharing your favorite memory of seeing Ferbos play. And if you prefer doing it the old-fashioned way, don't hesitate to send a birthday card to Mr. Ferbos at this address:
Mr. Lionel Ferbos
5543 Press Drive
New Orleans, LA 70126

So happy 100th, Mr. Ferbos, and thanks for a century of great music. Can't wait to see him again at this year's Summerfest!

Comments

Phil said…
Hi, Ricky, great video of Lionel Ferbos! Thanks.

I wish, I wish, I wish that Louis could have managed this, singing and blowing at the age of 100. That would have been some party!!

Popular Posts