Louis Armstrong and Race

Last week, I delivered my "Louis Armstrong and Race" lectures at the Louis Armstrong House Museum. Both shows were standing room only and I think people got the message. I've already received e-mails from friends from around the world asking if there was video or audio to be shared. Well, my good friend Michael Steinman was there filming away for his "Jazz Lives" blog. He posted the whole lecture yesterday morning and filled in the details with some very kind words (thanks, Pops!). I think all you Louis lovers out there will dig it because I was allowed to use Louis's private tapes featuring Louis candidly discussing all sorts of racial matters (in language that...well, all I can say is hide the kids!). Anyway, I'm going to direct you over to Michael's address in the blogosphere to dig it. For those in the NY area, I'll be delivering the lecture two more times on February 26, but I'm almost certain they're sold out. Well, as Bogey once said, we'll always have YouTube. Thanks, Michael....enjoy!

“BLACK AND BLUE”: LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND RACE by RICKY RICCARDI (Feb. 12, 2011)

Comments

Popular Posts