Louis and Race - Lecture at Louis Armstrong House Museum

Hello friends, specifically those in the New York/New Jersey area. Just a note to drop a plug for an event I'll be hosting at the Louis Armstrong House Museum this month in Corona, Queens. In honor of Black History Month, I'll be giving a lecture on the subject of Louis and Race at the Armstrong House. As you can imagine, it's a helluva subject to deal with but I'll be armed with a special weapon: excerpts of Louis's private tapes. So if you've ever wanted to hear Louis behind closed doors, talking about racism, Little Rock, Joe Glaser, New Orleans, you name it, well, you don't want to miss this lecture (and because of the nature of some of these tapes, it's wise to leave children or anyone with sensitive ears at home).

The bad news is seating is limited and you must RSVP to get a seat. The good news I will be giving the same lecture four times this month: this Saturday, February 12, at 1 and 3 and Saturday, February 26 and 1 and 3. To RSVP, call the Armstrong House at 718-478-8274. I'm not going to lie, call sooner rather than later because there's going to be some extra publicity later in the week and you're going to want to make sure you get a seat before the events sell out. (And if you're in the area and can't make it or you live in another part of the world, don't fret as almost every quote I'll be sharing or playing--shameless plug alert--is in my book!) Thanks for your interest, I hope to meet some of my readers this month and stay tuned for a posting in a couple of days on the 50th anniversary of Velma Middleton's death.

Comments

Popular Posts